2018 Headwaters Hoedown
The 8th Annual Headwaters Hoedown is looking to be another fantastic day celebrating all those who have supported our conservation work!
Where: Cross Arrow Ranch, Conejos County, (20785 Co Rd 28, Sanford CO, 81151)
When: September 15, 2018, 12-5pm (Note that tours will start at 11am - see below for details)
Tickets: $30 until 9/8, $40 9/9 and at the door
What: A celebration that will include music from the Rifters featuring Don Richmond and Mariachi San Luis. Local food from Pepita's Catering and a selection of locally brewed beer from the Colorado Farm Brewery.
Local Tours: Both tours meet at 10:45am - PLEASE ONLY SIGN UP FOR 1 TOUR! (See tour description for each location)
La Sauses – A Crossroads of Culture: The community came into being in the mid-1860s as a ford where stagecoaches and other wagons crossed the Rio Grande. Though small, it contained a store, dancehall, and a post office from 1895-1920. The community was settled by Antonio Marquez, Jose Rodriques, and Fernando Borrego in 1863-64, and was called "Sauses," which is Spanish for "willows," and named after the trees along the river and lagoons that look like that tree. Participants will walk in the steps of those original settlers and learn about their incredible contributions to acequia agriculture and this historic landscape. The tour will begin at the adobe church La Capilla de San Antonio de Padua
Olguin Ranch Conservation Tour: This hike around the neighboring Olguin Ranch will be hosted by our partners at the Western Rivers Conservancy. We will be seeing how this property along with other conserved properties helps make up the San Luis Valley Conservation Area - Colorado's newest Conservation Area. Meeting location to be posted soon.
Auction: This year's auction is looking to be better than ever! Highlight auction items:
- 2 nights lodging for 4 ppl at the Historic Wason Ranch House - including fishing privileges. spring/summer 2019
- 2 nights lodging for 2 ppl at the Rainbow Trout Ranch, including horseback riding, fishing, three meals per day and nightly activities. June 2019
- Tickets to the Creede Repertory Theater (2019)
- A day of fishing at Lake Humphreys
- A day of fishing on the Soward ranch
- Dinner for 2 at the 4UR Ranch
- 3 month family pass to the Sand Dunes Swimming Pool
- A night of lodging and soaking for 2 at the Orient Land Trust/Valley View Hot Springs
- A guided fly-fishing lesson on private water
- more items are coming in every day from local businesses.
We are deeply grateful to have the support of these wonderful organizations: